Prāṇāyāma is considered one of the most powerful practices of yoga. Studies from Harvard, the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) and many others have shown amazing benefits for hypertension, stress, depression, and anxiety.
In this workshop, we will explore the ancient art and science of Prāṇāyāma, understand its practical relevance for our own lives, and learn the fundamental methods of practice.
Each session will include a presentation, time for discussion and Q&A, and a full practice.
Session 1: Thursday, December 1, 2022
- Understanding Prāṇāyāma
– Vedic Paradigms of Human Energy
– Prāṇāyāma and Autonomic Nervous System
- Understanding Inhalation & Exhalation
– How and why to vary the directional flow of the breath
– Learn effective techniques for developing and refining Inhalation & Exhalation: Anuloma & Viloma Krama
Session 2: Thursday, December 8, 2022
- Understanding the art & science of ratio in Prāṇāyāma
– How and why to modify the proportional relationship between the four parts of the breath: Inhalation, Retention after Inhalation, Exhalation, Suspension after Exhalation: Bṛṁhaṇa (nourish, build), laṅghana (reduce, eliminate), & samāna (balance)
- Understanding the relationship between āsana & prāṇāyāma
– How to use breath adaptation in āsana to prepare for specific prāṇāyāma
Session 3: Thursday, December 15, 2022
- Understanding the different techniques of prāṇāyāma
– How to “valve” the flow of breath
– The energetics of the different methods of practice: Sūrya (heating) & candra (cooling)