Can Yoga Be Bad for You?
“It’s not about the postures, it’s about the practitioner.”
— Gary Kraftsow
KQED (NPR affiliate station in Northern California) held a radio show on January 12, 2012 about a recent New York Times Magazine article focused on how yoga can cause serious injury. The safety of yoga practice was addressed by a panel of speakers including:
- Baxter Bell, director of the Piedmont Yoga Studio’s teacher-training program in Oakland and a board-certified family doctor
- Glenn Black, yoga teacher featured in the New York Times Magazine article
- Jason Crandell, yoga teacher and contributing editor of Yoga Journal
- Kaitlin Quistgaard, editor in chief of Yoga Journal
- Moshe Lewis, physical medicine and rehabilitation physician at California Pacific Medical Center, St. Luke’s Campus
Gary Kraftsow, Founder and Director of the American Viniyoga Institute called in to the radio show to discuss his perspectives on the New York Times Magazine article. You can hear Gary’s comments about 40 minutes into the show.
What distinguishes the Viniyoga approach to asana from other forms of yoga? Read more »